….. means to never watch a match alone, but with friends and the company of chai and pakodas; as the insecurity of the fans is hit for a toss with team-india’s consistent inconsistency! I bet the commentary is rubbing off on me, having sat glued to willow tv screening since 5 am!
Nevertheless, we had been presumptuous like dhoni and company today and had an early dinner celebs for an impending match ending in an unbelievable anti-climax… At least the good decision out of that was to not be over-confident, important lesson which I hope the men in (light)blue have also learnt! So this is the dinner that came undone – must warn, some photographs may not appeal the vegetarian-strict. So browse at your own risk!! 🙂
I am going to leave you with the gobi manchurian recipe, which is borrowed from my mother-in-laws recipe treasures, with a few changes. The pics arent very well taken, for when you are racing against time to cook a feast, you sort of lose it when the pictures don’t turn up nice and give up midway (incidentally again a team-india trait!)
Here goes –
- Cauliflower – 1 large
- Capsicum – 1 large
- Garlic – 10 to 12 cloves
- Spring onions – a bunch ( optional)
- Soy sauce – from any regular chinese or indian store
- A paste of – roasted 6 to 8 garlic cloves and 2 or 3 red hot haberno peppers ( also called chinese capsicum)
- Corn flour – enough to make batter for cauliflower marination and 1 Tbsp for gravy making
- Make the cauliflower marinade, similar to how you would make for pakodas or bajjis, with corn flour, a dribble of rice flour and cayane pepper according to spice level, all mixed to a thick pasty consistency. Dont let the marinade sit for more than 30 minutes.
- Dice the garlic cloves and capsicum very fine.
- Deep fry the cauliflower florets. While that i getting done, saute the diced garlic and capsicum in oil. As the saute is almost done, add 1 tsp of soy sauce and garlic+haberno paste.
- While this mixture cooks, prepare the gravy with 1 Tbsp of corn flour and 2 cups or less of hot water, depending on the amount of cauliflower florets.
- Add this gravy to the sauteed capsicum and garlic medley. Add salt. Let it simmer to a boil. Ensure the cauliflower is all fried and done by the time this gravy starts to boil.
- No sooner does the gravy boil and starts to show signs of thickening, remove it from the burner. Plop the fried cauliflower to it. sprinkle with chopped spring onions.
- Server after 5 to 10 min, to give the gravy enough time to soak into the cauliflower and thicken further.
- Enjoy with egg fried rice or jasmine rice. We had it with regular peas pulav!